"It's a Long Way Back" - Everyone pulls together to help Callie and baby Sofia on their painstaking journeys to recovery in hopes of allowing mother and baby to finally meet; the sudden death of a clinical trial patient has Derek proceeding with more caution while Meredith makes a calculated and risky move; Alex treats a cranky old rich woman dying of cancer and gets an idea for a grandiose endeavor that is sure to get him the Chief Resident spot; and Teddy is pleasantly surprised by the return of a familiar face, on "Grey's Anatomy," THURSDAY, APRIL 28 (9:00-10:01 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network. thread is locked until Episode airs
And as per usual, here are a few questions to ponder if you don't feel like writing a full blown review.
- Did you like this episode? Would you watch it again? - What was your favourite scene/line/moment or storyline, if you have one? - What didn't you like about this episode and what would you change? - Score out of 10?
It seems we're being set up to see how the remaining three original residents have grown but are still flawed. So moreso what we're seeing is them working backwards from the SF to prepare for the S.8 jumping off point.
Many pieces of this episode felt predictable and to mostly be about stage setting:
- Callie and Sofia heal miraculously with a few tidy hurdles
- Meredith falls victim to guilt over Adele's condition and does something stupid with all kinds of good intentions
- More of the push me/pull you Cristina storyline in which she's both a concerned friend to Callie and emerging godmother while also remaining stoic alongside Owen's softy response to Callie and Sofia healing
- Alex being a half-as*sed gentleman and surgeon who, like Mer, has the best of intentions but gets himself out on a ledge he's not sure how to handle with both the patient and the African children he brings to Seattle for surgery
And though there were minimal Cristina and Owen scenes - and just one of the two of them together - the anvils were falling fast and furious.
The small bits we got were at work but showed us how professional and personal are going to be running parallel for these two.
Cristina is snarky godmother to Sofia and clearly Cristina is taking her duties to her friend Callie seriously - both as a friend and as a doctor. Her soothing way with Callie and then plotting to take her to the NICU window was beautiful in its obvious caring and concern for her friend and her baby. (First bit of anvilicious foreshadowing, IMO.)
And then we see more snarky Cristina as physical therapist for Callie and also working closely and with great care and concern with Bailey to help Callie heal.
On a parallel path we see Owen asking Alex what he's doing to prepare for chief resident. (Interesting that Owen points out what others are doing, except for Cristina.) And Alex pulls an idea out of his butt that he somehow pulls off. One amusing contrast was Alex haplessly extorting his patient and then acting like Cristina couldn't be trusted with kids while Lexie giggled. (More foreshadowing.)
And then the foreshadowing overtakes us as we finally see Owen and Cristina in the same room together. Owen is in complete 'awww' mode at baby Sofia, thrilled at how she and Callie are finally healed, while Cristina is feeling the dearth of cardio in her life with Callie's hospital discharge. I like how Owen's not at all bothered by Cristina's lamenting of Callie being her last cardio patient. He just nudges Cristina to see how cute the baby is, a not so subtle writerly redirect.
But, predictably, Cristina continues on with the scientific reason that babies cause hormone surges in order to keep them safe until they can fend for themselves. (A too obvious response in my book.) Owen's pondering look afterward was the final bit of Cristina and Owen foreshadowing until next week, so that puts us up to at least four anvils raining down.
I still say we're being lead toward an SF in which we see Cristina and Owen having navigated a bumpy, up and down, kind of road through these remaining S.7 episodes - in which we see them bicker and love each other both - to get to the positive test stick. Cristina doesn't need to prove she's a kick-butt surgeon to show she's a grown up in this GA writers' room created world, but she does need to prove she's an empathetic, compassionate person while also mirroring something from her Before which still drags at her heels - her pregnancy, miscarriage, and residual abandonment fears. But I'll end there rather than further risk being reminded I should go to the speculation thread.
- Did you like this episode? Would you watch it again? Yes sure ok not much Kevin and Sandra rather cute scene at the end and a few spots of Kevin throughout
- What was your favourite scene/line/moment or storyline, if you have one? few good scenes in this epi, one was them working on Callies baby and the second was the old Dragon lady, Alex and the arrival of his African babies and of course Mer and Adele
Glad to see Teddy getting settled with Tupper and even nice seeing her with Foley ... Stark and April wondering how that is all going to turn out
- What didn't you like about this episode and what would you change?
didnt enjoy all the Callie hysterics I know that probably quite a realistic point of view on her recovery but it was distracting
- Score out of 10? about a 5 lost 5 for not much Kevin
Reptillus: Greetings friends!
Oct 27, 2015 2:00:45 GMT -5
duchovlet: Win KEVIN McKIDD's Autographed Grey's Anatomy 250th Episode Hat * BID HERE www.ebay.com/itm/231735882800 * OPEN WORLDWIDE * Kevin will *PERSONALLY AUTOGRAPH * hat to winning bidder!
Oct 29, 2015 20:55:46 GMT -5
duchovlet: HAPPY HOLIDAYS from TEAM McKIDD! We wish all McKidders joy, peace & a fun year ahead Thank you for supporting Kevin & his official website!
Dec 24, 2015 11:06:08 GMT -5
rayme: I love Grey's Anatomy
Feb 4, 2017 19:48:22 GMT -5
rayme: Can we talk them here
Feb 4, 2017 19:49:03 GMT -5
stormtrooper68: Hello, everyone. anybody else spotted the mistake in episode 13 of Journeyman. Happens during the dance scene.
Apr 24, 2017 4:03:57 GMT -5
veroni: My name is veronica and I am from South Africa. On which date will Grays Anatomy Season 11 debuted in Norway. No one else detected the slip-up in scene 13 of Journeyman. Occurs amid the move scene.comfortable mattress.
Jul 14, 2017 3:25:05 GMT -5
garym: Hi everybody Im Gary from Keith in Scotland . My mothers mother is his grandmas sister a 2nd cousin I believe and to all his fans out there reading,no need to be jelous Ive never even met Kevin. Would be super cool to tho
Apr 30, 2020 18:42:07 GMT -5